Broker of the month: City Index, read our expert and client reviews here
Here is a forward contract hedge example that demonstrates demonstrates how a currency forward can be used.
In this example we will look at a UK based business who’s European subsidiary will be receiving EUR 750,000 for a new contract and how a FX forward can be used to hedge the exposure.
The EUR 750,000 will be main in monthly installments over the next 12 months and is guaranteed revenue.
In this forward contract hedge example we will assume that the company has budgeted in their profit forecasts based on the current exchange rate so they need to hedge the EUR 750,000 exposure in case the GBPEUR rate moves against them.
- This can be done by a series of currency forwards to settle in monthly intervals.
- This means that each month the company will be able to convert EUR 62,500 into GBP at the exchange rate on the day the contract was signed.
- Enabling them to accurately budget their profit forecasts.
- If the exchange rate moves against them they do not have to worry about a decrease in profits.
- However, as it is a hedge they will not benefit if the exchange rates moves in their favour over the course of the year.
You may also be interested in these sections:
- Compare currency brokers
- What are currency forwards?
- Currency forward quotes
- FX forward pricing
- Currency forward rates
- Currency forward contract pricing formula
- Forward exchange contract advantages and disadvantages
- Forward exchange contract example
- Forward contract hedge example
- Advantages and disadvantages of future contracts
- Advantages and disadvantages of forward contracts and currency options
- Advantages and disadvantages of option contracts
- Advantages and disadvantages of money market hedge
- Business risks of forward contracts
- Advantages of futures and forwards
- What advantages do futures contracts have over forward contracts
- Currency hedging forward contracts
Good Broker Guide Featured Brokers
Looking for institutional broker? Compare prime brokers here